Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beware: very lengthy update!

:-O I'm a few days off! :-P

Four more days until we're in Iquitos!! We can not wait! Both Larinda and I care counting down the days! :-D I've been really busy... thats why I'm updating the blog 3 days late!

Larinda only has tomorrow and she's finished! 1:00 pm (2 your time) she will be completely finished. She is super excited and is counting down the hours! This week has been more difficult as it's ''practice teaching'' week. She's making it though! Thanks to many prayers and lots of work!

ok so starting at Tuesday of last week...

Tuesday - was a pretty normal day... I worked in the cafe but it was VERY slow so I studied Spanish while waiting for customers :-D went to Spanish class from 11-1. then got ready to go to the Club (Project CORASON) Today was sports day so we had club in a field instead of the actual club. I personally didn't play any sports... I played uno with about 5 kids the majority of the time. Then I jumped rope with the little girls. On Tuesdays a man by the name of Jose works on coaching the boys in ''futbol' (soccer) The boys from the club enjoy that. we would have had to bring the toys back to the club building but Jose had a motorcycle and offered to bring the stuff up for us... that was nice so we didn't have to walk up the big hill! :-D

Wednesday
normal day today... after Club Clare and I took a taxi to Plaza de Armas. met up with Larinda, Jo, and Carrie at Real McCoys (a restaurant) On Wednesdays they have a trivia night. Everyone pays s/5 to play (all the money goes to a charity) each table is a team. You have 6 categories on a paper. 10 questions for each category. A man asks the question and as a team you have to write the answer. There were about 6 or 7 teams. We had the lowest score out of everyone... we were also the smallest group. But we still had fun! I had a lasagna plate :-D it was goooood :-D

Thursday
A normal day. Very busy.

Friday
We had 22 people with 5 to-go's in one group at the cafe! Scott (overseer of the cafe) knows the group... thats how they found out about us! It was surprisingly easy since we did all the preparations beforehand. it was fun too! we had about 10-12 drinks to make in all but that was fairly easy too. I had Spanish class from 11-1. After which I made sure the Cafe didn't need my help then I left to meet Larm for lunch. Larm and I don't see each other much so we wanted to eat somewhere together for once :-P We went out for chaufa with a stuffed potato and then went to another restaurant and had a spinich, lettuce, tomato and avocado sandwich! ah SO good! :-D At Club I played candy land with 2 girls a few times. There weren't very many kids today so instead of doing what we planned we just played some games with them :-D After Club I met Larinda at the volleyball court and we played for about and hour and a half! Had a great time!

Saturday
Was a wonderful day! I worked in the cafe until closing time (2pm) then Larm and I went walking about the city. we got home around 5 and there was a message left for us... asking if we would like to go out on a progressive Peruvian dinner for Jo's last night out. Jo is a volunteer at the Cafe. we left for the dinner at 6:30. we all met at Jacks. We meaning Clare, volunteer with P.C. Carrie, Also a volunteer with P.C and a worker at the cafe. Nichole, Jo's room mate. Jo, worker at the cafe. Larinda and I. I got a coffee milkshake. it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g then we went to a pizza restaurant and had cuy pizza! (guinea pig!) After that we went to another restaurant and shared 2 plates amongst us... ceviche (raw fish in lemon) and rocotto rellena (stuffed peppers). With all that food in our stomachs we needed a little break so we came to the cafe and let our stomach digest a little while drinking tea. Saulo (a peruvian friend of Jo and Nichole) joined us but Nichole went home cause she hadn't been feeling well all day. After we were rested enough we bought anticuchos (meat on a stick, with a potato) off the street. We had picarones (donut type thing made from sweet potato) for dessert and to top everything off we ended with ice cream! All in all we had a very delicious night! we also were able to get to know everyone a little more :-D

Sunday
Larm and I went to a Mennonite church with Carrie (a worker in and cafe and also with Project CORASON) On our way home we went out to eat at a sorta restaurant I got stuffed peppers... it was good. when we got home I took a nap until 6. that was nice :-D Went to English church downstairs... After we had cake and tea. the cake was like a mint chocolate. it was SO good! :-D A bunch of us went out for cake for Jo's last time at Jacks. Larm didn't come cause she had to much homework to do :-( so off we went to Jacks all 12 of us. Jo and I shared a chocolate cake with ice cream. I got a coffee Milkshake. those things are SO good :-D

Monday
woke up early today study spanish. Jimmy (my Spanish teacher) and I had an interesting conversation about Christianity versus Catholicism. After I got back we had the meeting for Project CORAZON. It was decided that I would go with Liz and Clare to Wilkapie Tuesday. so I didn't go to the club Tuesday. Today was the first time I met Liz (a Peruvian) she is the one who usually oversees the Club but has been sick the entire time we have been here. Today was Larindas first day teaching. We went to Volleyball around 6:30-6:45 played until 8. I was able to video chat with the girls tonight!!!! YEAH!!! :-D :-D

Tuesday
woke up early and met up with Clare and Liz around 8 to go to Wilkapie. Wilkapie is a village about 20 minutes drive or an hour walk from the club. we took a taxi up. The guy said he would meet back up with us at 11 to take us back down. Which would have helped a lot cause I had to be at Spanish class at 11. I told them I would be late and they were fine with that. While at Wilkapie we played with the kids (mostly from about age 2-6 with a few older boys) and read them story books/learning books ie. colors, shapes and numbers. We finished up at 11 and surprise surprise the man did not come pick us up... so we had to walk down the mountain... it took about 45 minutes to get where the taxi's were... I arrived at Spanish lessons at 12 (an hour late :-O) but my teacher didn't mind the hour break :-P After Spanish lessons I had the rest of the day off. so I studied spanish and what not.

Wednesday
another normal busy day... also added... I was able to video chat with Michael and Daniel between Spanish lessons and Club! :-D

Thursday (Today!)
I went with Carrie to a tour place and bought tickets for a tour of The Sacred Valley. Larm and I figured while we're here we might as well do something touristy! ;-) Pretty much everyone else is here for the tourism. So we'll being on the tour from 9am-6pm on Saturday. yeah long I know! But I've heard it will be well worth the $10 :-P Larm and I also went to the market today... it's humongous! and quite fun walking thru! I only have one more Spanish class :'( I've learned a lot and am thankful for my teacher for bearing with me this whole month! it's kinda funny... I've talked to my teacher more then anyone here in Cusco... but then it makes sense that it's like that. I was going to say I'm going to miss speaking Spanish... but thats all I'll be speaking in Iquitos! haha. I also only have one more day at the club :'( I won't miss climbing the hill but I'll miss being with the kids there!

Friday and Saturday are going to be busy days! With finishing Spanish class, working in the cafe a little, last day at CORASON, the tour, packing, a hike to Cristo Blanco, and Larindas last class at maximo along with the celebration party for the Maximo students!
Then it's to Lima we go!

Also... here are pictures of the different things we have done here!
(you have to copy paste the link)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=194990&id=598491871&l=e96a5395c7

Enjoy! :-D
Until next time,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment